Healthy Mother/ Healthy Baby Case Management Programs offer a variety of case management, home visiting programs tailored to meet the needs of individualized pregnant women, infants and families. Each case management program is voluntary. Availability varies across the state.
Healthy Mother/ Healthy Baby: PHRM/ISS
The Perinatal High Risk Management/Infant Services System (PHRM/ISS) is a statewide case management program for high risk pregnant women and their infants less than one year old. PHRM/ISS provides enhanced access to health care, nutritional and psychosocial support, home visits, and health education.
Healthy Mother, Healthy Baby: Help for Pregnant and Parenting Teens
If you are 19 or younger and pregnant or have a new baby, we have free health services that can benefit you and your baby.
How to Enroll
You can qualify for the MSDH Pregnant and Parenting Teens program if you are 19 or younger, pregnant or have a child younger than 1, and you are in high school or would like to re-enroll to work toward a diploma or GED. To enroll, you can contact:
- Your county health department.
Find a county health department near you »
- Your school guidance counselor or school nurse
- Your hospital nurse
- Your family doctor or nurse
All services in this program are free.
How You Benefit
- Healthy food: We help you enroll in the free WIC program. It provides you monthly food packages for a balanced and complete diet
- Nutrition counseling: to make sure you're getting important nutrients for your health and for the healthy development of your baby.
- Tips on preparing for birth: to help you understand changes in your body and how your baby is developing, what to expect during delivery, recovery after having a baby.
- Family planning waiver: If you do not have health insurance, you may be able to receive free checkups, birth control supplies, and family planning services.
- Pregnancy planning: Birth control choices you have after delivery, and how to time your next pregnancy so it's best for you and the baby.
- Help in continuing your education : Help in staying in school and reaching your educational goals during pregnancy and after your child is born.
How Your Baby Benefits
- Breastfeeding support from a lactation specialist. Breastmilk is the ideal food for a new baby, and gives it the best start in life.
- Safe sleep education: How to prepare a crib and choose the right clothing and sleep position for your baby to make sure it sleeps safely.
- Parenting preparation: How to care for your baby and meet his or her nutritional goals; how to recognize proper growth and development, and care for a baby with special medical needs; how to deal with the changes a baby brings to a family.
More Information for Mothers, Fathers, and Significant Others
More Information About Babies
More Information For Fathers
The Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies program for pregnant and parenting teens is supported by grant number SP1AH000038-01-00 from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Adolescent Health, pregnancy Assistance Fund. Content described is solely the responsibility of MSDH and does not necessarily represent the official views of HHS.