Questions and Answers About Professional Licensure

This page has been automatically translated from English. MSDH has not reviewed this translation and is not responsible for any inaccuracies.

For questions about licensing and renewal, please contact our Professional Licensure office by sending e-mail to

Questions and Answers About Professional Licensure





  • Who is eligible to renew online?

    The following license types may renew online if they are active and in good standing:

    • Athletic Trainer
    • Audiology
    • Body Piercing
    • Dietitian
    • Hearing Aid Specialist
    • Medical Radiological Technology
    • Occupational Therapist
    • Professional Art Therapist
    • Respiratory Care Practitioner
    • Speech-Language Pathology
    • Tattoo and Body Piercing Artists

    If you have a "temporary", "limited", "provisional", "probationary" license or you live outside of the United States, you must contact the Professional Licensure office for a renewal packet. Our number is 601-364-7630.

  • Can I renew my license if it expired two years ago?

    No. If your license has been expired for two years or more, you will need to contact the Professional Licensure office for instructions.

  • I do not know my license number, can I still renew online?

    Your license number is required to enter the online process. You may contact our office if you need your license number.

  • Can I renew my license after the licensure renewal period has ended?

    For most professions the answer is no. Audiology, Speech-Language Pathology, and Professional Art Therapy allow, for a limited time period, late renewals and during this time, which is beyond the renewal period, you may still renew your license online (depending on the profession and requirements a late fee may be assessed). Please review the section of your regulations pertaining to licensure renewal for additional information.

  • I typed in my license number and social security number and received an error message. What do I do?

    First verify the information was inputted correctly. If you still receive an error message, contact the Professional Licensure office. Please note that all licenses begin with one or more letters followed by four (4) numbers.

  • Can I renew online if I am on CE probation?

    No. You must contact the Professional Licensure office for your renewal packet.

  • Is it required that I renew online?

    No. You may contact the Professional Licensure office for a renewal packet.

  • If I renew online will I still receive my ID card and seal?

    No. As of July 1, 2008, ID cards and seals will no longer be issued. You will receive a renewal letter via email.

  • How do I know if my renewal was accepted?

    You will receive a confirmation number once the process is complete. Also, an email will be sent to the email address that you provided with the same information.

  • Can I use a printout of my confirmation page as proof that I have renewed my license?

    No. You may use it as proof that you have submitted the information but not that your license has been renewed.

Top ^


  • Do I submit my Continuing Education Units (CEUs) online?

    No. If you renew online, CEUs are requested randomly. Once you complete the online renewal process and receive your confirmation information, you will be alerted if your license number was selected to submit CEUs and the instructions will be provided.

  • If I choose to submit my renewal via mail, will I be required to submit my CEUs?

    Yes. If you submit your renewal information by mail, you will have to submit all required documentation, including proof of CEUs.

  • How many CEUs are required?

    The number of CEUs required varies by profession. If this is your first renewal, the letter you received with your licensure certificate and ID card contains your required number of CEUs. If you renewed during the last renewal cycle, your required number of CEUs are contained within your professional regulations.

  • What if I do not have all or any of my CEUs and I was selected to submit my CE information?

    If you were selected to submit your CEUS, and you do not have the required amount, you will be placed on CE probation. Continuing Education probation is explained in your professional regulations.

Top ^


  • Is paying online safe?

    Making payments on-line is actually safer and more dependable than paying by mail. This system uses a leading encryption technology to ensure that only those approved by you can have access to your confidential information.

  • What forms of payment can I use online?

    You may use either credit/debit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) for online license renewal payments.

  • Why is my email address required on the payment page?

    Your email address will be used to send you a final confirmation of your payment or notify you of problems processing your payment.

  • How do I know my payment was accepted?

    After completing the payment process, a confirmation page with a corresponding confirmation number will be displayed. You are encouraged to print this page for your records. You will be sent a confirmation via e-mail also.

  • What is my confirmation number?

    Your personal confirmation number is very important. The confirmation number is used to track the process of your online payment in Payment Tracker. After making a payment with the Department of Health online payment system, your confirmation number will appear on the final screen. You will also receive the confirmation number by email within an hour after making a payment with the Department of Health online payment system. For your records, we suggest you print the final payment page and the email containing the confirmation number.

  • Do I need to keep my confirmation number?

    Yes, this information is used to track your payment if there is a problem.

  • What is a convenience fee and why was I charged it?

    It is the fee charged by credit card companies for the "convenience" of using the card.

Top ^

Last reviewed on Jun 20, 2023 request edits
Mississippi State Department of Health 570 East Woodrow Wilson Dr Jackson, MS 39216 866‑HLTHY4U Contact and information

Facebook Twitter Instagram RSS

Accredited by the national Public Health Accreditation Board