All Mississippians can be tested for COVID-19 free of charge by appointment at regularly scheduled county health department locations. Free drive-through testing is offered by MSDH in partnership with the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC).
Special Testing Groups
If you belong to one of the groups below, you can be tested free without any symptoms or exposure required:
- College and university students, faculty or staff
- Child care facility workers
Free protective equipment is offered for these groups:
- School nurses can receive a free N-95 mask.
- Those 65 or over, or anyone with a chronic disease can receive free face masks and a face shield.
Please remember to make an appointment at a scheduled testing location on this page to be tested or to receive your protective equipment.
Before You Visit: Making an Appointment
Testing is open to all Mississippians, but before visiting a county health department or other testing site, you must first be screened by speaking with a UMMC clinician to determine your likelihood of COVID-19 infection or exposure. This can be done by calling 601-496-7200 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday – Saturday) or completing the UMMC COVID-19 online patient Screening form. If the clinician determines that your likelihood of infection is high, you will receive an appointment for drive-through testing. (Teachers and school staff will always receive an appointment when they call or apply.)
After You Are Tested
If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you should isolate yourself while you wait for test results. If you have a sample taken at one of these locations, it is essential to remain at home and away from other family members as much as possible to prevent the possible spread of disease.
Printed test results from selected MSDH testing events
For some special COVID-19 testing events, testing is performed by the Mississippi Public Health Laboratory (MPHL). If you were tested at a Mississippi State Department of Health testing event and were told that your test sample would be processed by the MPHL, then you can get a printed copy of your test results, if needed, by following the instructions below.
Free Daily Testing in Jackson
Drive-through testing by appointment is available daily at the old West Street Farmers Market in Jackson at the corner of West Street and Woodrow Wilson Avenue.
Scheduled COVID-19 Drive-Through Testing Locations
Monday, March 8
- Chickasaw County Health Department (Houston, MS)
- Copiah County Health Department
- Walthall County Health Department
Tuesday, March 9
- Choctaw County Health Department
- Lamar County Health Department
- Oktibbeha County: Mississippi Horsepark, 869 E Poor House Rd, Starkville
- Tallahatchie County Health Department - Charleston
Wednesday, March 10
- Calhoun County Health Department
- Hancock County Health Department
Thursday, March 11
- Franklin County Health Department
Friday, March 12
- Pearl River County Health Department
- Smith County Health Department