Emergency Medical Technician - Basic Training
The Mississippi Community College System offers EMT programs throughout the state of Mississippi. Additionally, organized EMS districts as recognized by the Bureau of EMS, Mississippi State Department of Health, are authorized to provide this training.
The Board of Health — through regulations - sets guidelines and minimum standards.
EMT Basic Curriculum
EMT Curriculum must conform, at minimum, to the Mississippi approved guidelines. Written permission from the Mississippi Bureau of EMS must be obtained prior to the start of an EMT Training course.
Requirements for Entry into the EMT-Basic Training Program
- Age of at least 18.
- Ability to read and write.
- High school graduate or GED equivalent.
- Minimum score of 10 on the TABE reading test or 16 on the ACT taken after October, 1989 or 12 taken before October, 1989.
- Valid CPR certification ( Health Care Provider).
- Physically fit per physical examination by physician.
- Hepatitis B vaccination started prior to clinical or ambulance run portion of the class.
Students should contact the local community college for admission requirements application to the EMT-Basic program.
Mississippi Emergency Medical Technician Basic Training Programs
- Northeast Community College
101 Cunningham Boulevard
Booneville, MS 38829
- Coahoma Community College
3240 Friars Point Rd
Clarksdale, MS 38614
- East Central Community College Department of Emergency Medical Technology
P.O. Box 129
Decatur, MS 39327
Phone: 601-635-2111 x425
- Jones County Junior College
900 South Court Street
Ellisville, MS 39437
- Itawamba Community College
602 West Hill Street
Fulton, Mississippi 38842
- Gulf Coast EMS District
2020 Intraplex Parkway
Gulfport, MS 39532
- Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College
2226 Switzer Road
Gulfport, MS 39507
- Pearl River Community College
906 Sullivan Drive
Hattiesburg, MS 39401
- Hinds Community College Emergency Medical Technology
1750 Chadwick Drive
Jackson, MS 39204
- East Mississippi Community College
8731 South Frontage Road
Mayhew, Mississippi 39753
- Meridian Community College
910 Highway 19 North
Meridian, MS 39307
- Mississippi Delta Community College
P.O. Box 668
Moorhead, MS 38761
- Copiah Lincoln Community College
30 Campus Drive
Natchez, MS 39120
- Jackson County EMS District
2204 Old Mobile Highway
Pascagoula, MS 39567
- Holmes Community College
412 West Ridgeland
Ridgeland, MS 39157
- Northwest Mississippi Community College
P.O. Box G
Senatobia, MS 38668
- Southwest Community College
Summit, MS 39666
First Time Pass Rates for Courses Starting in January 2019
- Central MS EMS District: 39%
- Coahoma Community College: 38%
- Copiah-Lincoln Community College: 33%
- East Miss Community College: 57%
- Gulf Coast EMS District: 67%
- Hinds Community College: 48%
- Holmes Community College: 39%
- Itawamba Community College: 57%
- Jackson County EMS District: 40%
- Jones County Junior College: 74%
- Meridian Community College: 45%
- MS Gulf Coast Community College: 50%
- Northeast MS Community College: 17%
- Northwest MS Community College: 75%
- Pearl River Community College: 75%
- Southwest MS Community College: 25%
Data reporting from January 2019 to date via the National Registry of EMTs database "Cognitive Results by Exam Date" report