Guides to Good Nutrition
Menu Planning and Recipes
- ChooseMyPlate.gov: Tools and information for better eating from the USDA
- My Food Advisor: Food and diet information, tracking and menu planning for diabetics or anyone wanting to lose weight (from the American Diabetes Association)
- What’s on a Food Label?: Understanding nutrition when you shop.
Professionals and Teachers
- Drink Water First: Drinking more water is one of the simplest way to stay healthy. Adults and kids can check out fun gadgets, and learn some surprising stuff.
- Vending Machine Products: Guidance from the state Office of Healthy Schools
Teaching and Learning Materials
- MyPlate Lesson Plans: Aids for teaching students practical ways to implement MyPlate.gov meal suggestions. (Learning ZoneXpress.com)
- Bright Futures: Health promotion and disease prevention resource for nursing, health care professionals, and educators
- Portion Distortion: Presentations from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- Tips for Teachers: Ways to reward children without food, how to include physical activity in the classroom, and much more (PDF)
Web Sites and Toolkits
Policy, Guidelines and Reports
- Community Strategies to Prevent Obesity (CDC): Includes measurement data protocols, a listing of useful resources, and examples of communities that successfully implemented each obesity prevention strategy
- The Surgeon General's Vision for a Healthy and Fit Nation 2010: Recommendations on nutrition and physical activity, school wellness policies, child care, improving access to fruits and vegetables, reducing junk food marketing to children, and supporting walking and biking infrastructure.
- Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee Report, 2008: Science relating physical activity to a variety of health outcomes, with toolkits and guidelines, from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Trust for America's Health Obesity Report 2012: Obesity rates compared nationwide
This page last reviewed on Nov 4, 2014
Cooking Healthy at Home
Color fact sheets on reducing fat and salt in your meals at home
Healthy Eating Out
Color fact sheets on making healthy choices at restaurants