The Children's Medical Program provides medical and surgical care to children with chronic or disabling conditions. The service is available to state residents under 21 years of age.
If your child was born with a disabling condition, or developed a disability or chronic illness, we may be able to help. The Children's Medical program can organize care for your child's condition, provide some equipment and medications, and arrange for physical, occupational and other therapies. If your child has a special health care need, contact us for information or referral sources.
|Who can qualify||Services||How to apply||Resources||About the program|
Who can qualify
Mississippi residents from birth through age 20 are eligible. Eligibility is based on family income, family size, and estimated cost of treatment. Some of the many conditions the program covers are listed below.
- Spina bifida
- Cerebral palsy
- Cleft palate
- Seizure disorders
- Cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia, and hemophilia
(through special programs)
- Orthopedic conditions (other than from accidents)
- Congenital heart conditions requiring surgery
- Intestinal or urinary defects requiring surgery
- Some ear, nose and throat conditions
- Hearing loss (limited assistance with the purchase of hearing aids)
- Other congenital metabolic conditions identified by newborn screening
Services covered by CMP:
- Pediatric specialty care (outpatient and inpatient)
- Braces and other durable medical equipment
- Some medications, such as seizure medications, offered through the State Public Health Pharmacy
- Dental corrections and speech therapy for some conditions
- Genetic screening referral and follow-up
- Nutrition services
- Feeding services for newborns with cleft lip and palate conditions
- Social worker referral for assessment and referral to other community resources
- Referral to information resources for applicants whose diagnosis is not covered by the program
Except for emergencies, prior notification must be made to the Children's Medical Program to report all scheduled appointments and services before services are rendered. Prior notification should not be confused with prior-authorization. Because CMP is the payer of last resort, all forms of health coverage are considered for payment prior to program consideration.
Services not provided
Services are not covered for:
- Wellness visits
- Illnesses such as colds and flu
- Mental, behavioral and emotional disorders
- Malignancies (except when reconstructive surgery is needed)
- Non-surgical care related to premature birth
- Child care for children who are not sick
How to apply
You can apply to the Children's Medical Program at your county health department. When you apply, you will need the documents listed below.
Further information and resources
Cystic Fibrosis, Sickle Cell and Hemophilia
Other Birth Defects
Services, Advocacy and Assistance
Get in touch — find out more
To apply to the Children's Medical Program, or to learn more about it, contact your local health department office, or call 1-800-844-0898 toll-free. In the Jackson area, call 601-432-3030.
Contact the Blake Clinic for Children directly at 601-432-3029.
We want to hear from you about about maternal and child health needs and programs in Mississippi. Take a moment to share your ideas and concerns with us. Send us a message »