The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinic Health (HITECH) Act authorizes the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to make incentive payments to eligible professionals and eligible hospitals demonstrating meaningful use of certified EHR technology. Meaningful use will be implemented in three stages beginning in 2011. The duration of each stage will depend on when an eligible professional/hospital chooses to apply for incentives.
|Declaration of Readiness||MS-HIN||Registration of Intent||Certification Letter||Q & A|
Declaration of Readiness
The Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) has the capability to support:
- Electronic Laboratory Reporting
- Immunization Reporting
- Syndromic Surveillance (EHs/CAHs only)
- Cancer Registry Reporting (Stage 2 only)
- There are no other specialized registries that MSDH is supporting for Meaningful Use (MU) Stage 2
Exclusions for MU
The Eligible Hospital/CAH or Eligible Provider can request an exclusion to CMS based on the following criteria.
- If the Eligible Hospital/CAH or Eligible Provider does not collect public health (Immunization, Laboratory Reporting [ELR], or Syndromic Surveillance) data during the reporting period OR
- The public health angency does not have the capactiy to receive the data. (Note: MSDH does have the capacity to receive public health-related objectives for Meaningfuil Use.)
Refer to CMS Guidelines for additional information.
MS Health Information Network (MS-HIN)
MS-HIN is the state’s health information exchange (HIE) currently being deployed statewide. MS-HIN is a secure electronic exchange of patient information which allows health care providers a quick, secure, reliable access to patient health records. The MS-HIN provides a patient’s complete medical history at the point of care fostering better quality care in a more efficient manner.
- To provide sustainable, trusted exchange of health information to improve the quality, safety, and efficiency of health care for all Mississippians.
- To be the trusted source for secure, quality health care information – anywhere, anytime for a healthier Mississippi.
MSDH and MS-HIN
MSDH and MS-HIN are working closely together to implement efficiencies in health information exchange throughout the state.
MSDH is requiring that all EHs, EPs, and CAHs use MS-HIN to satisfy their MU Public Health reporting.
Registration of Intent
Each facility will be required to complete a registration for each MU Stage.
Note: Multi-facility organizations must register intent at the organizational level, but must specifically list each facility that will be attesting for MU.
MSDH will email a Certification Letter(s) when the MU PH criteria have been met.
The Certification Letter(s) can be supplied to the organization with each facility listed OR to each individual facility depending on the organization/facility’s readiness.
Questions & Answers
The federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has an extensive set of questiosn and answers about all stages of Meaningful Use.