Menu planning resources
- MSDH Approved Child Care Snack Ideas
- USDA MyPlate
Cookbooks and recipe tools from the USDA What's Cooking website.
- Team Nutrition
Creative ideas for meal planning and food preparation from the USDA, including key recommendations and best practices.
- USDA Nutrition Resources for Child Care Centers
Kid-approved recipes made from healthy ingredients from the USDA — available in home and school versions size from 6 to 100 servings.
- MSDH Approved 4-Week Child Care Menus
- Child Nutrition Institute
Institute of Child Nutrition
- Weights, Measures and Portions Poster
A one-page poster on food measurements and serving sizes for scoop, dishes, and spoons from the Institute of Child Nutrition, for the kitchen area of a facility
- Menu Planning Worksheet To be used by the child care provider to plan menus for meals and snacks.
- National Resource Center for Health and Safety
The NRC's primary mission is to promote health and safety in out-of-home child care settings throughout the nation
- Institute of Child Nutrition
The Institute of Child Nutrition provides information and services that promote the continuous improvement of child nutrition programs
- Party Suggestions for Child Care Centers and Parents
- Healthy Lunch Box for Children
Farm to School
- Farm to School and Farm to Preschool
Overview and resources for connecting children and students with farm-fresh food
- Achieving a State of Healthy Weight
This report from the National Resource Center assesses child care regulations in all fifty states against the latest evidence-based best practices.
MSDH menu planning documents
Child care facility operators can use the Checklist below to review menus before submitting them in order to speed the approval process.