Plan Ahead for Healthy Holiday Eating
Holiday pounds don't leave when the holidays are over.
Most people gain several pounds over the holidays from eating larger portions of meals, snacks and candy. Few of those who gain weight manage to lose it again once the holidays are over. Over time, this steady weight gain adds up to obesity.
Portion control is essential to staying healthy
- Serve yourself a sensible amount of the foods you like at each meal, and stick to one helping.
- Eat until you are comfortable, not stuffed.
- Eat more slowly to feel full on less food. It takes about 20 minutes for the stomach to signal the brain that it's full, so take plenty of time for conversation between bites.
Plan ahead for sensible eating
- Don't skip a meal before going to an event where food is served. Instead, have a healthy snack about an hour beforehand to curb your appetite.
- Head for spicy or sour foods instead of sweet ones. Having a pickle can reduce the cravings for sweets.
- Decide before you leave what to eat, and how much. Having a limit in mind before the meal will help you avoid temptations.
Find this page at