The Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) announces the issuance of a Certificate of Need (CON) for the following projects:
Methodist Healthcare - Olive Branch Hospital
Olive Branch, Mississippi
Construction/Establishment of 100-Bed Acute Care Hospital, MRI, Therapeutic Cardiac Catheterization and Open-Heart Surgery Equipment and Services
Capital expenditure: $137,080,000
Methodist Healthcare - Olive Branch Hospital has received Certificate of Need authority for the construction and establishment of a new 100-bed acute care hospital that will include a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) unit, two therapeutic cardiac catheterization labs, an open-heart surgery room, as well as adult and pediatric emergency services. The proposed facility will be located on 20 acres in the southeast quadrant of U.S. Highway 78 and Bethel Road (Hacks Cross Road).
The CON authority was awarded with the following conditions:
- The hospital provide an amount of indigent care in excess of the average of the hospitals in the General Hospital Service Area as determined by the State Health Officer;
- The hospital provide an amount of Medicaid care in excess of the average of the hospitals in the General Hospital Service Area as determined by the State Health Officer;
- The hospital establish outpatient services in Tunica County or any other adjacent county without a hospital;
- The hospital fully participate in the Trauma Care System at a level to be determined by the Department for minimum of Five (5) years; and
- The hospital participate as a network provider in the State and School Employees' Health Insurance Plan as defined in Mississippi Code Section 25-15-3 and 25-15-9.
Bio-Medical Applications of Mississippi, Inc., d/b/a Fresenius Medical Care - Dekalb
Establishment/Construction of a Six-Station ESRD Facility in Kemper County
Capital expenditure: $775,000
Bio-Medical Applications of Mississippi, Inc., d/b/a Fresenius Medical Care - Dekalb has received Certificate of Need authority for the establishment and construction of a six-station ESRD facility with room for eventual expansion to 12 stations.
Alliance Health Partners, LLC, d/b/a Tri-Lakes Medical Center
Relocation/Addition of 10 Adult Acute Psychiatric Beds
Capital expenditure: $10,000
Alliance Health Partners, LLC, d/b/a Tri-Lakes Medical Center has received Certificate of Need authority for the relocation and addition of 10 adult acute psychiatric beds, bringing the total capacity from 15 to 25 beds. The additional 10 beds are already licensed.
Mississippi's Certificate of Need process is a fundamental component of the state's health planning and health regulatory activities. In managing the Certificate of Need process, the Department seeks to improve the health of Mississippi residents; to increase accessibility, acceptability, continuity and quality of health services; to prevent unnecessary duplication of health resources; and to provide some cost containment.
The MSDH has administered the Certificate of Need program since July 1986. During that period, more than 1,400 Certificate of Need applications have been reviewed, representing total capital expenditures of approximately $5 billion. The next Certificate of Need monthly meeting will be August 26, 2010, at the MSDH offices in Jackson.
Press Contact: MSDH Office of Communications, (601) 576-7667